A Master of Science in Higher Education Administration prepares graduates to serve in a variety of roles at colleges, universities, and related institutions. The academic program, offered by the College of Arts, Sciences and Education runs in partnership with FIU's Student Affairs division, and integrates classwork with assistantships for a total learning experience. Students in the program are taught and advised by full-time professors and senior higher education professionals. As a majority-minority institution, FIU is the prototype for universities of the 21st century. Students in the program will have the opportunity to work and study in one of the most diverse higher education environments in the nation.
Postsecondary education administrators oversee student services, academics, and faculty research at colleges and universities. Their job duties vary depending on the area of the college they manage, such as admissions, student affairs, or the registrar’s office.
In today’s global market and economy, education is a necessity for economic opportunity, mobility, and specialized skills. A college education is an investment in the future and is no longer a luxury for just a selected few. Studies show that graduates with a master’s degree earn more and by 2020, the Department of Education estimates that an estimated two-thirds of job openings will require postsecondary education or training. Understanding these facts, a career in higher education is a good choice because of the steady growth and stability of the field.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of postsecondary education administrators is projected to grow by 10 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Growth is expected because of increasing student enrollment in colleges and universities. In addition, people will continue to seek postsecondary education to accomplish their career goals. As more people enter colleges and universities, more postsecondary education administrators will be needed to serve the needs of these additional students.
Graduates will be prepared for employment within higher education institutions in the following capacities:
- Administrative Manager
- Higher Education Administrator
- Training and Development Manager
Of note, there is a possibility of employment at the University after graduation, and students are introduced to national opportunities for employment at other institutions.
To apply, please select the following subplan in the online application: HEDONLINE
Program Requirements: (36 Semester Hours Total)
Fall A 2022
EDH 6633 Introduction to Higher Education Administration (3 credits)
EDH 6061 History of Higher Education (3 credits)
Fall B 2022
EDH 6045 College Student Development Theory (3 credits)
EDF 5481 Foundations of Educational Research (3 credits)
Spring A 2023
EDH 6085 Diversity & Social Justice in Higher Education (3 credits)
EDF 6608 Social, Philosophical, and Historical Foundations of Education (3 credits)
Spring B 2023
EDH 6404 Legal Issues in Higher Education Administration (3 credits)
EDH 6634 Organization & Administration of Student Affairs (3 credits)
Summer A 2023
EDH 6047 College Student Life and Cultures (3 credits)
EDH 6637 Crisis Management in Higher Education (3 credits)
Summer B 2023
EDH 6401 Counseling Skills for Higher Education Professionals (3 credits)
EDH 6943 Practicum in Higher Education Administration (3 credits)
The required courses reflect the range of basic knowledge common to all higher education professionals. Whatever the job function, it is imperative that university professionals know the law, be aware of current issues, be sensitive to the diversity of student cultures, and understand the core functions of administration.
A professional degree in university administration should allow for some guided practical experience. The practicum sections allow students the opportunity to earn credit while gaining valuable hands-on experience in a variety of administrative areas. Practicum sections will include an academic component designed by the Higher Education faculty and the section supervisor.
The graduation requirements include successful completion of the above required program of study.
The following must be submitted:
- Online master's programs application ($30).
- Official transcripts -- All applicants must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities. Transcripts must be submitted in sealed envelopes directly from the respective institutions. A four-year bachelor degree from an accredited institution as well as a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required.
- Proof of Degree -- Submit official proof of degree: a notarized copy of the original diploma is required if the degree is not posted on the official transcripts.
- GRE Test Scores -- Not required .
- Recommendation letters -- Submit two letters of recommendation to support the application
- An essay describing your professional goals and reasons for pursuing a master's degree at FIU.
- Résumé -- Current and detailed.
- Interview via Zoom with the Program Director.
Work experience in higher education such as community college or student affairs areas is preferred but not required .
Only those applicants who have submitted complete application packets will be considered. Meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admissions.
Letters and any other supporting documents are to be sent to:FIU Graduate Admissions
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, BT 201
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199
- Proof of English Language Proficiency. If you earned a bachelor degree in a country whose official language is not English, you must demonstrate English language proficiency by earning a passing score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL required minimum score: 550 (paper-based exam) or 80 (internet-based). IELTS required minimum score: 6.5. When requesting official scores, please refer to FIU Institution code 5206. TOEFL / IELTS scores are valid for two years. View list of TOEFL/IELTS-exempt countries .
- Official Transcripts Translation. If official transcripts are not in English, a second copy of the transcript must be requested for translation by an official translation agency. Both the official translation, as well as the original transcripts, must be submitted to FIU.
- Certified Copy of Diploma. If you obtained your degree at a foreign institution.
Note to international students: I-20s or F-1 transfers will not be issued since it is an online program.
Official transcripts/translations must be submitted directly by the respective institution(s) in electronic format or mailed in a sealed institution envelope to:FIU Graduate Admissions
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, BT 201
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199
Pursuing your graduate degree is one of the best investments you can make -- one that will open doors to personal and professional opportunities. Our tuition costs represent some of the best value in higher education, and we also offer financial aid support to help you reach your goals. The total cost of this online program is $21,127.55 for Florida residents and non-Florida residents.
Scholarship opportunities available
FIU offers Academic Works, a website that matches students with relevant scholarships opportunities. Find the one that’s right for you! Academic Works is an online scholarship application tool where FIU students can browse and apply for more than 100 scholarships, made possible by the generosity of FIU alumni and friends. Students can apply after they are matriculated into one of our programs. For more information visit https://give.fiu.edu/business-governance/scholarships/.
There are other third party resources that prospective students can access while researching on how to pay for school. Below are various links that provide more information on financial aid and scholarship opportunities:
Federal Financial Aid
For information on Federal Financial Aid and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please visit our financial aid page.
Our faculty are nationally and internationally recognized scholars, exercising leadership roles in professional associations/organizations and editing some of leading journals in their fields.
View our Info Session
Learn more about the details of our program by listening in to our information session.
36 Credits Required
$21,127.55 Tuition Cost
- Fully online degree
- 12-month program
- No GRE requirement
- Includes a Practicum course/experience
To apply, select HEDONLINE on online application.
- Program starts Fall Semester
- #8 Best 1 Year Online Masters in Education Programs, bestvalueschools.org, 2020