The FIU Online Learning Design team is here to support your online teaching success. Our team provides focused consulting services that best prioritize our faculty’s needs in support of course design and maintenance. The learning design team can help an instructor:
- Apply teaching strategies to your specific learning environment and requirements, in either hybrid or fully online instruction modalities
- Develop learning objectives and align them with desired assessment strategies
- Increase learner collaboration through group activities and communications technologies
- Select the technology best suited to learning types and course delivery methods
- Adapt or help produce the best instructional materials for your desired course methodology and outcomes
- Provide professional development programs that offer the latest in pedagogical and technological applications in online course design and delivery
- Navigate the State University System of Florida online quality standards (Quality Matters)
New Online Course Design
A new online course is defined as the unique combination of an instructor with a course that has not been taught online in the past 5 years. All new instructor/course pairings are assigned to an instructional designer who will consult and guide the instructor through the online course design process. All new courses are designed and developed to meet the Panther Quality online course design (Quality Matters) standards.
If you are on the schedule to teach a new online or certified hybrid course, an instructional designer will contact you three months prior to the start of the semester to begin providing focused consultation throughout the design and development of your course. The process entails ensuring that your course aligns with established best practices and FIU’s commitment to online course quality.
The Learning Design & Development Process
- Concept Consultation: The instructional designer applies extensive expertise to generate conceptual frameworks that best suit the learning outcomes of your course.
- Design: An instructional designer helps map the online environment using evidence-based pedagogy that optimizes how online students interact with your subject matter.
- Production: The instructional designer then works with you and multimedia personnel to produce your course content into online learning assets.
- Delivery: Once the semester starts, the instructional designer remains available to provide training and support for course management.
- Quality Assurance: Once production is complete and the course is running, the Quality Assurance team begins the review process for meeting Panther Quality standards.
Online Course Maintenance
FIU Online also provides course development support to instructors who have already designed and developed fully online or certified hybrid courses.
FIU Online instructional design team can help get your Canvas course up for a new semester. Contact your assigned team for assistance with any of the following:
- A course copy from a past semester
- Multiple courses to be combined (or cross-listed)
- Additional instructors or teaching assistants be added to a course
- Consultation for setting up assignments or refreshing new assignments
- Training on applying DRC request accommodations
Online Course Enhancements
Instructors wishing to enhance an existing course to meet the Panther Quality (Quality Matters) standards or significantly update their course design can opt into a one-to-one instructional design consultation by following the instructions on our Online Course Enhancement Opt-In page. Note: Instructors with expired QM- or HQ-certified courses can also opt-in to have their courses re-evaluated and re-certified to meet the standards of the 6th edition rubric.